Electrical failure deemed cause of fire that destroyed Wilmington grocery store

first_imgScene of Everybody’s Supermarket fire, May 2, 2018. (Photo: Jenna Kurzyna) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Fire crews have determined the cause of a fire that burned down a grocery store in Wilmington.Wilmington Fire Department and New Hanover County Fire & Rescue personnel responded overnight to a reported structure fire by the Wilmington Police Department at “Everybody’s Supermarket” on Greenfield Street.- Advertisement – Heavy smoke and flames were reported visible from the attic when the first unit arrived on scene at 7:21 p.m.RELATED: Good Shepherd Center offers food for community impacted by fireAccording to a press release, crews immediately performed a primary search and it proved all clear. As the conditions began to rapidly deteriorate and the integrity of the building became questionable, crews were no longer allowed inside the structure.Related Article: US safety agency opens probes into Hyundai and Kia firesAt 12:20 a.m., the fire was reported to be under control. Crews remained on scene throughout the night and remain on scene, as several hot spots remain.Many still cannot believe what happened including Darrius Whitefire, whose business was destroyed by the fire.As of 1 p.m. Thursday, crews are still on scene, along with investigators from the Fire Marshal’s Office and the SBI.he 900-1100 blocks of Greenfield Street remain barricaded and traffic is not allowed.  Also on scene were representatives from CFPUA and Duke Energy, as well as New Hanover County EMS units.Due to the enormous amount of fire, three aerials, that are capable of flowing 400-2,000 gallons of water a minute, out-performed the water main line and the water pressure was low. Another contributing factor was a near-by hydrant that became inoperable during the incident.CFPUA authorities had a representative on scene during the operation to assist and quickly helped locating another hydrant for use. They also began filling the elevated tanks full of water to assist in boosting the water pressure as much as possible.Several businesses were completely destroyed, along with two parked vehicles.  There were no reported injuries.As of 4 p.m., the investigation has concluded and no foul play is suspected. The fire was deemed accidental and caused by an electrical failure.Official say it started above the ceiling of the storage warehouse, in the fascia board area, at the front of the building and didn’t start in the grocery store.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *