Media accreditation is now open for the 25th World Economic Forum on Africa, which will take place in Cape Town, South Africa, from 3 to 5 June 2015, with the support of the government of South Africa. • World Economic Forum• South Africa’s place in the centre of the world• South Africa pleased with WEF participation• Five reasons to be optimistic about Africa• Africa dismantling trade barriers Media accreditation is now open for the 25th World Economic Forum on Africa, which will take place in Cape Town, South Africa, from 3 to 5 June 2015, with the support of the government of South Africa.Convening under the theme “Then and Now: Reimagining Africa’s Future”, the meeting will mark 25 years of change in Africa. It will also provide an unrivalled occasion for senior decision-makers from industry, government, academia, civil society and the media to accelerate inclusive growth while bringing about sustainable development for the continent.To attend this event, please complete the online registration before Friday 15 May. As the number of accreditations issued is strictly limited, we will not be able to accommodate late registrations. No accreditation will be granted on site. To facilitate the visa application process, we encourage you to register early.This year there is an increase in global efforts to agree on a new set of universal goals aimed at sustainable development. The World Economic Forum on Africa will therefore focus on the continent’s efforts to enhance competitiveness, invest in human capital, strengthen risk resilience and harness opportunities arising from technology adoption in all sectors. Participants will help determine how to diminish vulnerability to commodity price fluctuations, capital market volatility, mounting public debt, youth unemployment, climate change and persistent development challenges.The co-chairs of the meeting are:Antony Jenkins, group chief executive, Barclays, United KingdomPhumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, undersecretary general and executive director, United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN WOMEN), New YorkPatrice Motsepe founder and executive chairman, African Rainbow Minerals, South AfricaPaul Polman, chief executive officer, Unilever, United KingdomSir Michael Rake, chairman, BT Group, United KingdomFor more information, contact:Maxwell HallSenior media managerWorld Economic ForumTel: +41 (0)79 329 3500Email: [email protected]
Ringleader of store theft crew sentenced to 16 years in prisonThe ringleader of a criminal crew that stole more than $35,000 of goods from Denver-area home improvement stores was sentenced Friday to 16 years in prison. Christopher Rodriguez, 31, pleaded guilty in May to violating the Colorado Organized Crime Control Act, according to the Denver district attorney’s office. He also was ordered to pay $39,392 restitution.A Denver grand jury in October indicted Rodriguez and 24 co-defendants on various additional charges, including money laundering, theft and violations of bail conditions. From December 2015 through December 2016, Rodriguez and others at his direction stole goods from various Home Depot and Lowe’s stores, according to the indictment. Stolen items were returned to the store in exchange for merchandise credit cards, which were then sold for cash and drugs.Rodriguez provided room and board in Denver for some crew members, the release said. He also bailed some members out of jail, putting them back to “work” until they could repay the bail fee. Fraudulently obtained merchandise cards were typically sold for about 70 percent of the card’s value. At the time of the thefts, Rodriguez had been released on bail in a pending criminal case and was under supervision, which included electronic monitoring. The monitoring device placed him at the scene of one or more store thefts for which he was charged, prosecutors said. [Source: The Denver Post]- Sponsor – Police seek shoplifting suspects who cut LP associatePolice in Douglasville, Georgia, are asking the public to be on the lookout for two shoplifting suspects who cut a Walmart employee who tried to stop one of them from getting away. The suspects, including a man and woman, reportedly tried to shoplift about $2,000 worth of items from the Walmart store on Concourse Parkway. “A Walmart LP associate attempted to stop the male and in the process (the suspect) used an X-Acto knife to cut the associate’s hand,” the department stated on its Facebook page. The suspects left the scene in a late model, white Kia Sorrento with drive-out tags. Those with information were urged to call Detective Jetmore at 678.293.1725 or email. [Source: West Georgia Neighbor]Seven people arrested in shoplifting stingIn Kentucky, a shoplifting sting from Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) and the St. Matthews Police Department led to several arrests. On Thursday and Friday, teams of officers focused on local malls and areas with a high concentration of retail stores. LMPD had more than 25 officers stationed at Oxmoor Center along with other stores like Kroger and Kohl’s. A total of 24 retailers participated in the operation.Terry Young with Kroger loss prevention said several people were caught stealing from the Kroger stores snatching all sorts of items like pizza, cake and party supplies. LMPD held another sting in December, and Maj. Jamey Schwab said both were timed when retail theft also sees an increase. “Obviously, we do see a spike in the number of juveniles, especially in the malls when school gets out,” Schwab said. Officers arrested seven people and wrote nine citations. Four people were taken in on unrelated warrants. The sting recovered more than $2,400 in merchandise over two days.Plain-clothed officers were stationed inside and outside the store communicating through an app on their phones. “As soon as they identify someone that they suspect of shoplifting, and this will be from actually observing the person concealing merchandise or trying to leave with merchandise from the store without paying, they then get on the app,” Schwab said. St. Matthews Police also had officers at Mall St. Mathews and stores along Shelbyville Road. [Source: WDRB News]Wig-wearing women steal $35K in DVDsTwo San Antonio women are behind bars Thursday, accused of stealing more than $35,000 worth of DVD’s from Barnes & Noble. Investigators believe Kristina Rost, 32, and Theresa Tagtmeir, 25, have stolen at least 917 DVD’s totaling $35,118.83 over the past several months. In order to pull off the thefts, officials said that the pair would change into different wigs and outfits. They are accused of committing at least 15 to 20 thefts between three different San Antonio Barnes & Noble locations.Loss prevention professionals were alerted to the thefts and were able to arrest Tagtmeir Wednesday at the Bandera location after witnessing her stuff a stack of DVD’s into her a bag she was carrying. Officials said at the time of the arrest, she was wearing a wig. Once in custody, Tagtmeir identified Rost as her accomplice in the crimes. She told investigators the pair was from Florida and had been selling the stolen DVD’s to CD Exchanges around the city. Both women have been charged with felony theft. [Source: KENS5 News]Amazon fraudsters sentenced to almost six years in jailThree people who stole $1.2 million in consumer electronics from Amazon via an elaborate returns scheme have received hefty prison sentences. Husband and wife, Erin Finan and Leah Finan, pleaded guilty to federal mail fraud and money laundering charges, and were sentenced to 71 months and 68 months in prison respectively. Danijel Glumac pleaded guilty to money laundering and to fencing the items the Finans stole and got 24 months in jail.Between 2014 and 2016, the Finans and Glumac stole and sold over 2,700 consumer electronics items such as GoPro digital cameras, Microsoft Xboxes, Samsung smartwatches, Microsoft Surface tablets and Apple Macbooks. They exploited Amazon’s customer service policy by repeatedly falsely claiming that the electronics they ordered were damaged or not working, and then requesting and receiving replacements from the e-commerce giant at no charge. They created hundreds of false identities, retrieving their stolen goods from retail shipping stores all over Indiana, and selling them to Glumac, on a near-daily basis. In just over two years, they made roughly $750,000 from their scheme.On top of that, they bounced checks, rented cars but didn’t paid for them and rented houses but, ah, you can guess the rest. They also committed another online fraud involving stealing high-end rental softball equipment and selling it on Facebook groups. “Consumer fraud not only unjustly enriches the perpetrator, it causes all of us to pay higher retail prices,” said United States Attorney Josh Minkler. “To those who seek to exploit the convenience of online shopping through fraud, remember this case. You will be caught. You will be prosecuted. And you will go to federal prison for a long time.” [Source: Retail Tech Innovation Hub]Pulse nightclub security guard, once hailed a hero, is being sued by victimsAs the first officer to exchange gunfire with the mass shooter who terrorized Orlando’s Pulse nightclub on the morning of June 12, 2016, Adam Gruler was quickly hailed a hero. For his actions, the Orlando Police Department honored him with a “Pulse Valor Award,” and Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) invited him to be her guest at Donald Trump’s State of the Union address. But nearly two years later, some of the victims and the families of those who died are telling a different story.In a federal lawsuit filed in Orlando on Thursday, the victims and families claim that Gruler, who was working an extra job as Pulse’s security guard that night, remained outside “to ensure his own safety” while the gunman shot and killed 49 people and injured 68 others inside Pulse. Gruler is one of 31 Orlando police officers being sued but the only one of them identified by name. The plaintiffs contend that Gruler and the other Orlando police officers acted too slowly and failed to protect the nightclub’s patrons as the gunman, Omar Mateen, opened fire on the club and then held hostages for more than three hours inside a bathroom before he was shot and killed by police. At a news conference Thursday, family members of those who died, as well as those who were at the club that night, said they thought police could have saved more lives had they acted quicker.In a joint statement released to various news outlets, the Orlando Police Department and City of Orlando, also a defendant, said they had not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on the substance of the litigation. “Nearly two years after the horrific act of hate inside the Pulse nightclub, our community continues to mourn the 49 lives taken and provide support for all those impacted,” the statement said. “On the morning of June 12, 2016, federal, state and local law enforcement officers and first responders put themselves in harm’s way to save as many lives as possible.” The lawsuit accuses Gruler of being the first to fail the victims. The plaintiffs claim Gruler “abandoned his post” inside the club, making it easier for the shooter to enter without being stopped at the door. But in his account given to the Orlando Sentinel in the days after the shooting, Gruler said he left the club because he was searching for a teenager who had gotten in with a fake ID. Gruler couldn’t find him inside, he said, so he headed out to the parking lot to take a look — and that’s when he heard the shots ring out.Dash cam footage captured Gruler firing at Mateen from the parking lot at 2:02 a.m., but, realizing he was outgunned, Gruler said he called for backup and remained outside. “Not only did the officer allow this to take place by apparently abandoning his post,” attorney Solomon Radner said at the Thursday news conference, “but also instead of immediately going in and neutralizing the shooter, he appeared to be primarily concerned about his own safety. He stayed outside where it was safe and allowed dozens of people to be massacred, knowing that was taking place, knowing that he was the only armed person there who could stop this. That was his job. [Source: The Washington Post] Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… audrey watters Tags:#How To#start No matter how carefully you build your founding team, questions will come up as you start your business that will make you want to turn elsewhere for advice. And so it’s good to have a carefully selected group of people you can turn to for help: your Advisory Board. As Bernard Lumm notes in “Startup 101, “You may have any number of advisers – friends and family – who you turn to informally for advice and who expect nothing in return except your friendship. But we use Advisers here with a capital “A” to denote someone with an official, compensated relationship with the company.”Who to AskWhen building an Advisory Board, you want to select people who bring knowledge and credibility and who have the time and willingness to help. It’s important the members of your Advisory Board have some background in your startup’s field, and it’s good to pick people who have succeeded as entrepreneurs. The members of your Advisory Board should also be able to speak with experience to the challenges and the successes of being executives. In other words, your Advisory Board is not made up of your attorney and your accountant. The latter, you pay for their professional advice. And while you can offer members of your Advisory Board somecompensation, their primary role is to offer mentorship, not to take on a fiduciary responsibility. As you build the Advisory Board, try to draw from areas in which your startup could use the most advice. You want to balance the board and have its makeup compliment your founding team.You can approach potential members informally, but you should put together a formal, written agreement to finalize the deal. Lumm recommends this be a formal invitation letter that can also include your business plan executive summary, the Advisory Board’s objectives and focus, and expectations for the length and level of commitment and involvement.Seek AdviceAsk good questions that take advantage of the expertise your Advisory Board offers. Before a formal meeting with your Advisory Board, send them a summary of the issues you are contending with. This way, everyone is prepared at the meeting to discuss the key questions at hand. (And you can listen to their advice, which is the point.)Follow up and follow throughIt’s good to maintain communication with your Advisory Board beyond just your face-to-face meetings. After a board meeting, you can follow up with members, indicating specifically how their advice will shape your strategy.Taking care as you shape your Advisory Board will pay off in the long run as you will be able to work with people that can bring credibility, insight, and experience to your startup. And as your startup matures, Advisory Board members can also make good candidates for more formal positions, as in your Board of Directors. A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting
South Korean Hyeon Cheng’s appearance does not betray that he can hit the ball that hard. So it made for some exciting moments when he made the tall Albert Alcaraz Ivorra of Spain run around during the final of the Junior ITF II in New Delhi on Thursday.Cheng displayed his court craft to perfection as he defeated Ivorra 6-7( 0), 7-7, 6-4 in a gruelling final to win the junior boys’ category. Unlike Cheng, third seeded Oleksandra Korashirli of Ukraine had an easy outing as she thrashed seventh seed Michelle Werbrouck of Belgium 6-2, 6-2 to claim the girls’ title.The boy’s final was an intense affair as none of the players were ready to concede an inch. Ivarro’s booming strokes and strong forehand were challenged by Cheng’s powerful serves.The Spaniard got the first break in the seventh game and took a 4-3 lead. Ivarro then broke Cheng in the 10th game, but the Korean fought his way back. He came up with some beautiful drop shots and levelled the score at 6-6. Ivarro recollected his game and pushed him to the limits in the tie- breaker as the Korean couldn’t score a single point and lost the set.Ivarro maintained the momentum and broke Cheng in the first game of the second set. The Korean, however, stepped up his game and broke back in the 8th and 12th game to draw level.The third set saw the two raise the bar. Ivarro dominated the set with his big serves but Cheng stretched him to the flanks with his angles, forcing the Spaniard to play on his back hand. His strategy paid dividends as the temperamental Ivarro appeared to lose his focus and screamed at his errors.advertisementIt cost Ivarro as he was broken in the 10th game. His strokes lacked the sting and Cheng cashed on it. The Spaniard doubled faulted and Cheng scored on a cross- court forehand. Ivarro double faulted again and Cheng sailed through. “My opponent was tough as he was serving fast and had an equally effective forehand. I made to play him on the back hand and I was successful in my strategy,” said Cheng, who will next play in Kolkata.