Overland Park committee trains focus on sustainable street design for Merriam Drive corridor bordering Merriam and KCK

first_imgThe Merriam Drive corridor on the northern edge of Overland Park may be the next candidate for some spiffing up. Overland Park planners have added the area bordering Merriam and Kansas City, Kan., to the short list of places that they hope to get grant money to study.Merriam Drive caught the attention of the Overland Park City Council six months ago when Dimensional Innovations, an architectural design and fabricating company, sought public financing for expansion at 3421 Merriam Drive.That plan was controversial. But during the discussion, some council members noted that the rest of the corridor could also use some attention. The street is in a part of Overland Park that is separated from the rest of the city by Interstate 35.Now city officials say they will apply for a grant from the Mid-America Regional Council’s program that encourages sustainable street design. Overland Park has received “planning sustainable places” grants in the past for Downtown and for the planning of College Boulevard.The sustainable places grants generally encourage street plans that are inclusive of pedestrians, bicyclists and mass transit as well as cars.Overland Park is coordinating with the bordering cities on the condition and needs of the area, Director of Planning Services Jack Messer, told a council committee Wednesday.The Merriam Drive application was new to the grants wish list. Other applications will be made for continuing work on the College and Metcalf corridor. The city has been studying ways to redesign the street slow down traffic and bring in more customers since 2019 on that stretch.The community development committee also discussed disbanding the city’s 35-year-old Landmarks Commission due to a lack of people willing to serve on it and infrequent meetings.The commission was formed in 1985 to preserve historic properties. Since then eight properties have been approved as city landmarks. But currently there are not enough members for a quorum and the city staff has had trouble finding new prospects.Committee members discussed favorably an option ceding the duties to the Kansas Historical Preservation Office. If the commission is disbanded, people could still get their property listed on the state and national registries through the state. The process might even be quicker that way, said planner Keith Gooch.last_img read more

Three terrorists killed in US military airstrike in Somalia

first_imgUS military airstrike kills thirteen terrorists in Somalia US military strike kills three terrorists in Somalia A military drone. (Getty Images)The United States military said it killed three terrorists in an airstrike targeting an ISIS-Somalia encampment in the Golis Mountains in Somalia on Sunday.The US military says this is the sixth airstrike in the last month against ISIS-Somalia and Al-Shabaab in the Golis Mountains. The airstrikes in the area have so far killed a total of 28 terrorists.AFRICOM notes that the Golis Mountains are a known area for Al-Shabaab camps and ongoing fighting between Al-Shabaab and ISIS-Somalia.AFRICOM said no civilians were killed or injured in the latest airstrike but it would release more details as appropriate as a post-strike analysis continues.“Airstrikes create additional time and space for continued incremental progress in Somalia. The last few days presented opportunities to successfully reduce terrorist influence and activity,” U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Robert Huston, deputy director of operations, U.S. Africa Command, said in a statement on AFRICOM’s website.Somalia has been plagued by terrorism for more than a decade, perpetrated by the Al-Shabaab militant group. The war waged by the terrorists has killed tens of thousands and forced millions to flee their homes.Relatedcenter_img US military airstrike kills three terrorists in Somalialast_img read more

Lampard signs new Chelsea contract

first_imgFrank Lampard has signed a new one-year deal, Chelsea have confirmed.The news will delight Blues fans, who feared the popular midfielder would be allowed to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, when his contract had been due to expire.Lampard always insisted he wanted to stay at the club and he hinted after Wednesday’s Europa League triumph against Benfica that he was close to putting pen to paper.AdChoices广告Confirming the player has signed an extension, Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay said: “We have been talking to him since the end of last year and our discussions have been entirely positive throughout.”With owner Roman Abramovich expected to finance major signings this summer, Lampard had been tipped to move elsewhere.But the 34-year-old, who recently replaced the legendary Bobby Tambling as Chelsea’s all-time leading scorer, was determined to extend his 12-year stay at the club.‘I’m absolutely delighted. Everybody knows I always maintained the dream was to stay at Chelsea,” said Lampard.“We’ve been talking for ages and even though it went on for quite a period it was always amicable.“I want to thank Mr Abramovich for everything he’s done in making the dream a reality.“I love this club, the staff, the players and especially the supporters, who have treated me fantastically since the day I arrived.“The thought of helping the club to more success in the forthcoming years is all I ever wanted. I couldn’t be happier.” 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 See also:Ten of the best: Frank Lampard’s most memorable Chelsea goalscenter_img Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Torres gives Atletico dream Calderon farewell

first_imgAnd fans’ favourite Torres ensured Atletico got three points to go along with a carnival atmosphere with a double inside the opening 11 minutes.“It is difficult to express the feelings that you experience on a day like this,” Torres to BeIN Sports Spain.“It was very emotional during the whole game. With the fans there were memories of many moments we have experienced here since we were kids.”Torres, 33, volleyed home Antoine Griezmann’s cushioned header to open the scoring before kissing the Atletico badge.Three minutes later Griezmann was again involved as this time his pass was headed into Torres’s path by Koke for an acrobatic finish.Torres, who is in his second spell at the club having broken into the first team as a teenager back in 2001, could yet leave Atletico this summer with his contract set to expire in June.And he was denied potentially the perfect send-off when a spectacular goal-line clearance from Aymeric Laporte prevented Torres from completing his hat-trick.Torres was replaced moments later to a standing ovation before the visitors threatened to spoil the party when Inaki Williams rounded off a fine team move 20 minutes from time.However, Angel Correa added a third for Atletico a minute from time.Atletico had already secured third place in La Liga for a third straight season, but defeat in what is expected to be coach Ernesto Valverde’s final game before taking over at Barcelona next season means Bilbao miss out on qualifying for the Europa League.Real Sociedad leapfrogged their Basque rivals into sixth thanks to Juanmi’s 93rd minute equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Celta Vigo.Bilbao could be handed a reprieve, though, and make the Europa League if Barcelona beat Alaves in the Copa del Rey final on Saturday.Villarreal sealed fifth place with a 3-1 win at Valencia.The title will be decided later on Sunday as Real Madrid just need to avoid defeat at Malaga to see off Barcelona, who host Eibar.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Atletico de Madrid’s forward Fernando Torres heads the ball against Athletic Bilbao at the Vicente Calderon stadium in Madrid on May 21, 2017 © AFP / OSCAR DEL POZOMADRID, Spain, May 21 – Fernando Torres was the fitting match winner as Atletico Madrid waved goodbye to their Vicente Calderon stadium by beating Athletic Bilbao 3-1 on Sunday.Atletico were playing their final competitive match at their home for the past 50 years before moving to the new 67,000 capacity Wanda Metropolitano stadium on the other side of Madrid next season.last_img read more