Manhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputy

first_imgHomeBad BehaviorManhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputy Jun. 12, 2020 at 5:00 amBad BehaviorCrimeManhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputyAssociated Press12 months agogunmanManhuntMason James Lirasuspect CHRISTOPHER WEBER and STEFANIE DAZIOAssociated PressHundreds of California police officers were searching Thursday for a gunman suspected of opening fire at a police station, wounding a deputy with a shot to the face and killing a transient man.Authorities said they have been a step behind 26-year-old Mason James Lira since he shot at the downtown Paso Robles Police Department before dawn Wednesday. Officials later discovered the body of a man, who had been shot in the head at close range.“It’s a wide-ranging, full-on, full-scale effort,” said Tony Cipolla, spokesman for the San Luis Obispo County sheriff. “We’re right behind him. You can’t run forever.”The search intensified Thursday in and around Paso Robles, a tourist destination in California’s central coast wine region. Police closed parts of a freeway and used flash-bangs while searching apartments.The attack came just five days after law enforcement officers were ambushed farther north in the community of Ben Lomond.Santa Cruz County sheriff’s Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was killed and another deputy was injured Saturday in an attack by an Air Force sergeant armed with homemade bombs, an AR-15 rifle and other weapons, authorities said. Sheriff Jim Hart said the suspect, Steven Carrillo, was intent on killing officers.Carrillo, 32, was arrested and the FBI is investigating whether he has links to the killing of a federal security officer outside the U.S. courthouse in Oakland during a protest against police brutality on May 29. A white van was spotted at both attacks and the FBI is seeking the public’s help to find it.Prosecutors on Thursday filed 19 charges against Carrillo, who faces life in prison if convicted. He is accused of killing Gutzwiller and attempting to kill four other officers, as well as possessing destructive devices and the components to make others. He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday, and it was not immediately clear if he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.In Paso Robles, there were no events or imminent arrests that could have triggered the violence, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said. Investigators didn’t know if the attack was connected to anger swelling nationwide at police over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis officers, he said.Authorities have not determined a motive, but Lira, a transient from the Monterey area, was arrested previously for making terrorist threats.A gas station clerk reported seeing Lira, the suspect, around 2 a.m. Thursday when he came in to buy an energy drink, the TV station KSBY reported. The clerk said Lira was sweaty, exhausted and mumbling to himself but did not do anything threatening.The events started unfolding around 4 a.m. Wednesday, when Lira fired at police cars as they entered downtown Paso Robles.Two sheriff’s deputies heard gunshots but didn’t see the attacker until they were outside their patrol car and gunfire targeted them. One was hit in the head. His partner fired back and dragged the deputy behind a police car.“We feel that this was an ambush, that he planned it, that he intended for officers to come out of the Police Department and to assault them,” Sheriff Parkinson said.The wounded deputy, Nicholas Dreyfus, 28, had a good prognosis Thursday after surgery.While officers searched for Lira, they received a report of a body near a train station and found a 58-year-old man shot to death on the tracks. He appeared to be a transient who was camping out overnight. It wasn’t immediately clear when he was shot.Associated Press writers John Antczak and Robert Jablon in Los Angeles contributed to this report.Tags :gunmanManhuntMason James Lirasuspectshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentGyms, museums, hotels, day camps can reopen Friday under Los Angeles County orderWildfires erupt as California sees hot, dry weatherYou Might Also LikeCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author2 days agoCrimeFeaturedKnife-wielding woman arrested during L.A. Councilman’s speechGuest Author4 days agoCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author6 days agoCrimeFeaturedHomeless man loses an eye to BB gun assaultGuest Author1 week agoCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author1 week agoCrimeFeaturedNewsDUI & Possession of a Rifle ArrestsGuest Author1 week agolast_img read more

Ofcom urges end to segregated spectrum approach

first_img LIVE FROM DSA GLOBAL SUMMIT, LONDON: Philip Marnick, UK regulator Ofcom’s group director of spectrum, urged mobile operators to rethink a protectionist mentality to spectrum and find new approaches to enable a more open environment.In a keynote at the Dynamic Spectrum Alliance Global Summit today (2 May), Marnick (pictured, right) said mobile operators, large ministries and satellite operators had to “figure out a way” to make spectrum available to more people – like innovators and enterprise disruptors – thus enabling a new approach and mindset around future spectrum usage.“We live in a world where protection is key. Everyone thinks they own the bit of spectrum they’ve got…we work in a way to make sure people can’t get in and it’s very much a keep off the grass approach. But, it’s a world we can’t live in. It’s an approach of ‘no you can’t’ and we’ve got to move to a world of ‘how do we make it work?’” he said.Freeing up spectrum and giving people more power to use it could also help with the development of 5G, Marnick said. He questioned how mobile operators will be sole developers of the technology in the future given the vast number of use cases expected when 5G comes to market.“5G is a range of things,” he said. “But, is it a mobile technology or is it a technology that people can use to develop different solutions at different points? Is it really something that is driven by mobile operators? I believe it is a mobile technology that can be used to facilitate development – and not just by the mobile operators.”Highlighting the fact 5G is expected to deliver industrial high capacity applications, IoT for both consumers and industry, along with transport through autonomous and connected cars, Marnick homed in on his point, stating mobile is still a key driver, but a 5G world “is not the traditional mobile of the last 30 years”.“Is this a world always enabled by mobile operators or is this a world enabled by technology evolution? That’s what we are struggling with as we go.”Marnick referenced the US CBRS model as an example of how to open up more access.“Lots of people are developing new applications and services. Mobile operators buy big bits of equipment from big suppliers, but lots of new innovative players can’t deal with big mobile suppliers to supply equipment. Like with US CBRS example, how do we get different people involved?”Ofcom committed to 5GMarnick said his challenge at the UK regulator was to ensure spectrum “is not an inhibitor to 5G”, and it will look to ensure “spectrum is available for 5G to take off”.Updating on the UK’s 5G spectrum roadmap, Marnick said the regulator was looking at releasing 3.6GHz to 3.8GHZ in 2019, following this year’s spectrum auction for 3.4GHz. Ofcom is also looking at sharing models for 3.8GHz to 4.2GHz. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 02 MAY 2018 Home Ofcom urges end to segregated spectrum approach Tags Author Kavit joined Mobile World Live in May 2015 as Content Editor. He started his journalism career at the Press Association before joining Euromoney’s graduate scheme in April 2010. Read More >> Read more Asia Relatedcenter_img Nokia scores Philippines 5G deal with Dito Previous ArticleMyanmar operators surpass global average 4G speedsNext ArticleBlu settles FTC smartphone privacy spat Telkomsel turns on 5G in major cities Mobile Mix: Buzzing for Barcelona Kavit Majithia 5GOfcomspectrumlast_img read more

News / ‘Operation Brock’ plans to keep freight moving at Dover if there is no Brexit deal

first_imgPolicy and public affairs manager at the FTA, Heidi Skinner, said the government intends to prevent a standstill on Kent’s roads, and in the event of no deal will initiate Operation Brock.This will see the coast-bound lanes of the M20 at junctions 8 and 9 reserved for HGV traffic, with the middle lane kept clear for emergency vehicles.“These trucks will then be placed in a slow-moving system, which at no point will be brought to a complete standstill,” said Ms Skinner.“This could mean trucks moving as slow as 30mph, but the government has expressed that the most important thing is to keep the traffic moving.”The main roads between London and Dover will be turned into a four-lane contraflow system – recommissioning the hard shoulder as the fourth lane – two coast-bound and two London-bound.These lanes will be reserved for all non-freight traffic and any freight traffic that is not destined for the Port of Dover.“Operation Brock will take effect in March if it appears it will be a no deal as it will take two weeks to install the permanent barriers on the contraflow,” Ms Skinner told The Loadstar.“While non-Dover-bound HGVs will be allowed to use the contraflow, if drivers use it to avoid speed restrictions on coast-bound lanes, they will be forced off and sent back.”It is also understood that under the proposed traffic management system, Dover-bound HGVs will be forced off the M20 at the junction 7 and onto the A249.From there they will be sent to Manston, where they will be held to ease the congestion, with an existing facility there capable of holding up to 4,000 trucks.Head of skills at the FTA, Sally Gibson, said that this could create regulatory issues, with drivers only permitted to be on the road for a certain number of hours a day.“The trip up to Manston, alongside the slow-moving duration along the M20, will inevitably add to the number of hours drivers are active,” she said.“This could see them go over the legislated number of hours they are permitted to be active and may require those rules to be reconsidered.”Ms Skinner said the government had yet to make any announcement on whether there would be any flexibility in drivers’ allotted hours.However, she noted that delays caused by snow earlier in the year had seen the government relax restrictions on driver hours. By Alexander Whiteman 20/12/2018 © Sue Martin center_img Planning is underway to tackle expected chaos on UK highways in the event of a no-deal Brexit, with roads leading to the Port of Dover in Kent expected to bear the brunt of it.Deputy chief executive of the Freight Transport Association (FTA) James Hookham said he expects the backlogs from shipments coming through Calais to face extreme delays.“From what I am hearing, in the event of no deal, French customs is planning to deploy aggressive enforcement of border checks at Calais,” he said.“Should this reality play out, I expect to see the roads jam up, which will inevitably lead to the collapse of services.”last_img read more

Eating a lot of fish may help curb depression risk — at least in Europe

first_imgPinterest LinkedIn Share on Facebook Share Share on Twittercenter_img Email Eating a lot of fish may help curb the risk of depression–at least in Europe–suggests a pooled analysis of the available evidence, published online in the Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health.The association between a fishy diet and mental health appears to be equally significant among men and women, the first analysis of its kind indicates.Depression affects an estimated 350 million people worldwide, and is projected to become the second leading cause of ill health by 2020. Several previous studies have looked at the possible role of dietary factors in modifying depression risk, but the findings have been inconsistent and inconclusive.The researchers therefore pooled the data from relevant studies published between 2001 and 2014 to assess the strength of the evidence on the link between fish consumption and depression riskAfter trawling research databases, they found 101 suitable articles, of which 16 were eligible for inclusion in the analysis. These 16 articles included 26 studies, involving 150, 278 participants.Ten of the studies were cohort studies, which involve monitoring a group of people who don’t have the condition in question for a period of time to see who develops it. The remainder were cross-sectional: these look at the association between a condition and other variables of interest in a defined population at a single point in time or over a brief period.Ten of the studies involved participants from Europe; 7 those from North America; the rest involved participants in Asia, Oceania, and South America.After pooling all the data together, a significant association emerged between those eating the most fish and a 17% reduction in depression risk compared with those eating the least. This was found in both cohort and cross-sectional studies, but only for the European studies.When the researchers looked specifically at gender, they found a slightly stronger association between high fish consumption and lowered depression risk in men (20%). Among women, the associated reduction in risk was 16%.This is an observational study so no definitive conclusions can be drawn about cause and effect, added to which fish consumption was measured using different dietary assessment methods across the various studies. But there may be a plausible biological explanation for the link, suggest the researchers.For example, it has been suggested that the omega 3 fatty acids found in fish may alter the microstructure of brain membranes and modify the activity of the neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin, both of which are thought to be involved in depression.Furthermore, the high quality protein, vitamins, and minerals found in fish may help stave off depression, while eating a lot of fish may be an indicator of a healthy and more nutritious diet, suggest the researchers.“Higher fish consumption may be beneficial in the primary prevention of depression,” they conclude, adding: “Future studies are needed to further investigate whether this association varies according to the type of fish.”last_img read more

Revenues down at Allen & Overy

first_imgHalf-year revenues at magic circle firm Allen & Overy fell by 7% as the City giant became the first to announce its financial performance results over the past six months. Revenues fell from £548m to £511m during the six months to 31 October. More than half of the firm’s turnover was generated outside the UK. The firm said that it has benefited from increased demand for high-end litigation, restructuring and regulatory work. For the year ending 30 April 2009, revenues at the firm rose 7% to £1.09bn from £1.02bn in 2007/08. Over the same period, profits fell 4% from £447m to £431m, while profits per equity partner fell 9% from £1.1m to £1m. Managing partner Wim Dejonghe said of the half-year results: ‘As expected, market conditions remain challenging for us and our clients. Despite last year’s drop-off in activity carrying over into the first few months of this year, we have recently seen an increase in our activity levels. This is highlighted by our involvement in some high-profile international instructions, such as the sale of Gatwick Airport, the government of Abu Dhabi’s bank bailouts and each of the first four major UCC foreclosures on landmark properties in the US in 2009. ‘While everyone adjusts to the new size and shape of global markets, demand for high quality legal advice remains. Now we have our capacity right and have improved cost controls, our increased activity levels mean we are cautiously optimistic about what lies ahead. We have made significant strategic investments, such as the recent lateral hires in high yield and litigation, and where we see further opportunities to improve our position we will continue to invest.’last_img read more