NewsEconomy SHARE Following an extended period of military tension following the declaration of UN Resolution 2087 in late January, there are signs that North Korea is again deliberately ratcheting up domestic insecurity, lending weight to the claim that if the UN adopts a fresh resolution against Pyongyang, a state of “preparation for military mobilization” or some other heightened state of alert will be reintroduced.A North Hamkyung Province source explained today, “Workers sent back to their workplaces on or after the 14th have been given a lecture about how ‘when military exercises resume soon, field exercises will resume’, and orders stating that not only training for reserves but also for Worker and Pleasant Red Guards must go up a notch.” The content of the lecture, the source added, was that “the U.S. imperialists and their followers are rushing to prepare sanctions measures against us in the UN, so we must also prepare more quickly to fight with them.” According to the source, the situation is similar to that at the end of last month, when the military readiness posture was raised and people were warned that martial law was likely to be declared. “Orders have come down from the provincial Party telling every household to donate 5kg of corn to support the military,” the source said. “Even reserves and Worker and Peasant Red Guards, meaning not even the regular military, have plans to produce metal dog tags and give them out.”In addition, the National Defense Commission has allegedly ordered all public agencies and enterprises to construct arms stores on-site in order to facilitate the quicker distribution of weaponry in an emergency.“They’ve ordered people to prepare emergency food stores and every people’s unit is organizing nighttime patrols, so it looks like they will have emergency drills and declare a quasi-state of war at some point soon,” the source concluded. News By Kang Mi Jin – 2013.02.22 12:34am Facebook Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR News US dollar and Chinese reminbi plummet against North Korean won once again Kang Mi JinKang Mi Jin is a North Korean defector turned journalist who fled North Korea in 2009. She has a degree in economics and writes largely on marketization and economy-related issues for Daily NK. Questions about her articles can be directed to [email protected] Tensions Re-elevated as UN Debates There are signs that North Korea is running into serious difficulties with its corn harvest News North Korea Market Price Update: June 8, 2021 (Rice and USD Exchange Rate Only)
By Daily NK – 2017.10.31 10:09pm News News Facebook Twitter SHARE News News RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Hamhung man arrested for corruption while working at a state-run department store Hackers tied to Kim Jong Un’s regime stole blueprints and other information about warships and submarines last year when they broke into one of the world’s biggest shipbuilders, according to South Korean lawmaker Kyeong Dae-soo.Blueprints, shipbuilding technology, weapons systems and test data related to submarines and destroyers were among roughly 60 classified military documents taken from Daewoo Shipbuilding last year, according to Kyeong’s office. It said it was summarizing information it had received from the South Korean Defense Ministry and several military agencies.The hackers are believed to have accessed some 40,000 documents in all.Kyeong, a member of the opposition party, learned of the Daewoo hack at an intelligence briefing last week, according to a spokesman for the lawmaker. The South Korean Defense Ministry declined to comment on the matter, but said it is working to strengthen military security.Related: North Korea’s long history of hackingDaewoo has built several South Korean warships and submarines, all part of the country’s defenses against North Korea.A Daewoo spokeswoman declined to comment, beyond saying that the company is looking into the matter.The Daewoo hack is the latest case to come to light suggesting North Korea is using its hacking abilities to try to gain an edge in the tense standoff with the U.S. and its allies over Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.Earlier this month, another South Korean lawmaker revealed that North Korean hackers allegedly stole classified military documents from a Defense Ministry database. Among the documents stolen were a South Korea-U.S. wartime operation plan and a document that included procedures to “decapitate” North Korean leadership. North Korea Market Price Update: June 8, 2021 (Rice and USD Exchange Rate Only) Daily NKQuestions or comments about this article? Contact us at [email protected] Congress week ahead: Tax time crunch, Russia investigation march forward North Korea hikes “party contributions” Russia-based workers must pay by 30-55%
“I thank Kevin Gopaul for his service to CETFA, where his leadership has seen the ETF industry achieve a number of exciting milestones, from outselling mutual funds last year for the first time in a decade, to an increasing number of entrants bringing new ETFs to market,” Hawkins said in a statement.Horizons was one of the founding members of CETFA, which currently has 20 ETF providers among its 46 members, after iA Clarington Investments and CIBC Asset Management recently joined the association.“Having worked alongside Steve Hawkins since CETFA began, I’m confident that his leadership, global profile and vision for the ETF industry will further propel ETF awareness and uptake,” CETFA president Pat Dunwoody said. 123RF Steve Hawkins, president and CEO of Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc., has been appointed board chair of the Canadian ETF Association (CETFA).Hawkins, a 30-year veteran of the investment industry, succeeds Kevin Gopaul, global head of ETFs at BMO Global Asset Management, who has completed his two-year term. CETFA elects new board leader TD getting new head of private wealth, financial planning Facebook LinkedIn Twitter PenderFund names new SVP for investments Related news Keywords ETFs, AppointmentsCompanies Horizons ETFs Management (Canada) Inc. Share this article and your comments with peers on social media IE Staff
U.S. 31 SOUTHBOUND traffic take State Road 56 to Interstate 65 at ScottsburgU.S. 31 NORTHBOUND traffic take S.R. 160 to I-65 at Henryville Motorists are advised to use these alternate routes: The collapse of a 36-inch drainage pipe under U.S. Highway 31 near the 28 mile marker has flooded the north-south roadway in both directions by as much a three feet. Shortly before 5 p.m., Indiana Department of Transportation officials closed U.S. 31 to all traffic. For highway information, monitor social media sites: www.Facebook.com/INDOTSoutheast and Twitter @INDOTSoutheast. Verify travel plans at TrafficWise: http://www.trafficwise.in.gov. No timetable for repairs has been established at this time. Officials do not believe the highway will fully open to traffic within the next 24 hours.
Ringleader of store theft crew sentenced to 16 years in prisonThe ringleader of a criminal crew that stole more than $35,000 of goods from Denver-area home improvement stores was sentenced Friday to 16 years in prison. Christopher Rodriguez, 31, pleaded guilty in May to violating the Colorado Organized Crime Control Act, according to the Denver district attorney’s office. He also was ordered to pay $39,392 restitution.A Denver grand jury in October indicted Rodriguez and 24 co-defendants on various additional charges, including money laundering, theft and violations of bail conditions. From December 2015 through December 2016, Rodriguez and others at his direction stole goods from various Home Depot and Lowe’s stores, according to the indictment. Stolen items were returned to the store in exchange for merchandise credit cards, which were then sold for cash and drugs.Rodriguez provided room and board in Denver for some crew members, the release said. He also bailed some members out of jail, putting them back to “work” until they could repay the bail fee. Fraudulently obtained merchandise cards were typically sold for about 70 percent of the card’s value. At the time of the thefts, Rodriguez had been released on bail in a pending criminal case and was under supervision, which included electronic monitoring. The monitoring device placed him at the scene of one or more store thefts for which he was charged, prosecutors said. [Source: The Denver Post]- Sponsor – Police seek shoplifting suspects who cut LP associatePolice in Douglasville, Georgia, are asking the public to be on the lookout for two shoplifting suspects who cut a Walmart employee who tried to stop one of them from getting away. The suspects, including a man and woman, reportedly tried to shoplift about $2,000 worth of items from the Walmart store on Concourse Parkway. “A Walmart LP associate attempted to stop the male and in the process (the suspect) used an X-Acto knife to cut the associate’s hand,” the department stated on its Facebook page. The suspects left the scene in a late model, white Kia Sorrento with drive-out tags. Those with information were urged to call Detective Jetmore at 678.293.1725 or email. [Source: West Georgia Neighbor]Seven people arrested in shoplifting stingIn Kentucky, a shoplifting sting from Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) and the St. Matthews Police Department led to several arrests. On Thursday and Friday, teams of officers focused on local malls and areas with a high concentration of retail stores. LMPD had more than 25 officers stationed at Oxmoor Center along with other stores like Kroger and Kohl’s. A total of 24 retailers participated in the operation.Terry Young with Kroger loss prevention said several people were caught stealing from the Kroger stores snatching all sorts of items like pizza, cake and party supplies. LMPD held another sting in December, and Maj. Jamey Schwab said both were timed when retail theft also sees an increase. “Obviously, we do see a spike in the number of juveniles, especially in the malls when school gets out,” Schwab said. Officers arrested seven people and wrote nine citations. Four people were taken in on unrelated warrants. The sting recovered more than $2,400 in merchandise over two days.Plain-clothed officers were stationed inside and outside the store communicating through an app on their phones. “As soon as they identify someone that they suspect of shoplifting, and this will be from actually observing the person concealing merchandise or trying to leave with merchandise from the store without paying, they then get on the app,” Schwab said. St. Matthews Police also had officers at Mall St. Mathews and stores along Shelbyville Road. [Source: WDRB News]Wig-wearing women steal $35K in DVDsTwo San Antonio women are behind bars Thursday, accused of stealing more than $35,000 worth of DVD’s from Barnes & Noble. Investigators believe Kristina Rost, 32, and Theresa Tagtmeir, 25, have stolen at least 917 DVD’s totaling $35,118.83 over the past several months. In order to pull off the thefts, officials said that the pair would change into different wigs and outfits. They are accused of committing at least 15 to 20 thefts between three different San Antonio Barnes & Noble locations.Loss prevention professionals were alerted to the thefts and were able to arrest Tagtmeir Wednesday at the Bandera location after witnessing her stuff a stack of DVD’s into her a bag she was carrying. Officials said at the time of the arrest, she was wearing a wig. Once in custody, Tagtmeir identified Rost as her accomplice in the crimes. She told investigators the pair was from Florida and had been selling the stolen DVD’s to CD Exchanges around the city. Both women have been charged with felony theft. [Source: KENS5 News]Amazon fraudsters sentenced to almost six years in jailThree people who stole $1.2 million in consumer electronics from Amazon via an elaborate returns scheme have received hefty prison sentences. Husband and wife, Erin Finan and Leah Finan, pleaded guilty to federal mail fraud and money laundering charges, and were sentenced to 71 months and 68 months in prison respectively. Danijel Glumac pleaded guilty to money laundering and to fencing the items the Finans stole and got 24 months in jail.Between 2014 and 2016, the Finans and Glumac stole and sold over 2,700 consumer electronics items such as GoPro digital cameras, Microsoft Xboxes, Samsung smartwatches, Microsoft Surface tablets and Apple Macbooks. They exploited Amazon’s customer service policy by repeatedly falsely claiming that the electronics they ordered were damaged or not working, and then requesting and receiving replacements from the e-commerce giant at no charge. They created hundreds of false identities, retrieving their stolen goods from retail shipping stores all over Indiana, and selling them to Glumac, on a near-daily basis. In just over two years, they made roughly $750,000 from their scheme.On top of that, they bounced checks, rented cars but didn’t paid for them and rented houses but, ah, you can guess the rest. They also committed another online fraud involving stealing high-end rental softball equipment and selling it on Facebook groups. “Consumer fraud not only unjustly enriches the perpetrator, it causes all of us to pay higher retail prices,” said United States Attorney Josh Minkler. “To those who seek to exploit the convenience of online shopping through fraud, remember this case. You will be caught. You will be prosecuted. And you will go to federal prison for a long time.” [Source: Retail Tech Innovation Hub]Pulse nightclub security guard, once hailed a hero, is being sued by victimsAs the first officer to exchange gunfire with the mass shooter who terrorized Orlando’s Pulse nightclub on the morning of June 12, 2016, Adam Gruler was quickly hailed a hero. For his actions, the Orlando Police Department honored him with a “Pulse Valor Award,” and Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) invited him to be her guest at Donald Trump’s State of the Union address. But nearly two years later, some of the victims and the families of those who died are telling a different story.In a federal lawsuit filed in Orlando on Thursday, the victims and families claim that Gruler, who was working an extra job as Pulse’s security guard that night, remained outside “to ensure his own safety” while the gunman shot and killed 49 people and injured 68 others inside Pulse. Gruler is one of 31 Orlando police officers being sued but the only one of them identified by name. The plaintiffs contend that Gruler and the other Orlando police officers acted too slowly and failed to protect the nightclub’s patrons as the gunman, Omar Mateen, opened fire on the club and then held hostages for more than three hours inside a bathroom before he was shot and killed by police. At a news conference Thursday, family members of those who died, as well as those who were at the club that night, said they thought police could have saved more lives had they acted quicker.In a joint statement released to various news outlets, the Orlando Police Department and City of Orlando, also a defendant, said they had not been served with the lawsuit and could not comment on the substance of the litigation. “Nearly two years after the horrific act of hate inside the Pulse nightclub, our community continues to mourn the 49 lives taken and provide support for all those impacted,” the statement said. “On the morning of June 12, 2016, federal, state and local law enforcement officers and first responders put themselves in harm’s way to save as many lives as possible.” The lawsuit accuses Gruler of being the first to fail the victims. The plaintiffs claim Gruler “abandoned his post” inside the club, making it easier for the shooter to enter without being stopped at the door. But in his account given to the Orlando Sentinel in the days after the shooting, Gruler said he left the club because he was searching for a teenager who had gotten in with a fake ID. Gruler couldn’t find him inside, he said, so he headed out to the parking lot to take a look — and that’s when he heard the shots ring out.Dash cam footage captured Gruler firing at Mateen from the parking lot at 2:02 a.m., but, realizing he was outgunned, Gruler said he called for backup and remained outside. “Not only did the officer allow this to take place by apparently abandoning his post,” attorney Solomon Radner said at the Thursday news conference, “but also instead of immediately going in and neutralizing the shooter, he appeared to be primarily concerned about his own safety. He stayed outside where it was safe and allowed dozens of people to be massacred, knowing that was taking place, knowing that he was the only armed person there who could stop this. That was his job. [Source: The Washington Post] Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
The ATA is wanting your opinion on the NTL logo. Do you think that the logo is: A: Terrible, the style has nothing to do with Touch and it needs a colour change B: Satisfactory, not brilliant/not terrible, but what else could be done? or C: Great, encompasses Touch Australia-wide and the colours are the Aussie green and gold Simply go to the poll on the right hand side of the page and enter your vote!
Everton boss Silva fed up with Allardyce sniping: I’d rather hear from Moyesby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton boss Marco Silva is fed up with the sniping of predecessor Sam Allardyce.After their FA Cup win over Lincoln City, Silva aggressively rejected criticism from his predecessor by pointedly saying he has no love for the Blues.“We need to look if these people love this club. If some people have another agenda, don’t want good results, just instability within our club, they are not worth listening to,” he said of Allardyce.“OK he (Allardyce) is one colleague, one coach as well. Maybe if it is David Moyes I would listen because he did something really important at this club.”But in this case it is not important at all.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsLoan MarketAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Jagielka backing Sheffield Utd keeper Henderson for England callby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson has been backed for success at international level with England.Henderson again impressed in Sheffield United’s win over Everton on Saturday.“I know Deano is desperate to get in there and get his international debut,” Henderson’s Blades teammate Phil Jagielka said.“He just has to keep his head down here and keep doing the right things. And, above all, keep putting in performances like he did against Everton.“It is all about getting experience when you are a young goalkeeper like Dean.“No matter how good you are, you have to have that experience. He will need to make mistakes. He will need to have the highs and lows.“But I think you could see afterwards just how excited he was. He was then trying to talk his way through the game in the changing room.“What I like is he is a little bit of a perfectionist. That is what you want. He will only grow as a character and as an individual.”