The new offence being created to ban referral fees will cover those receiving the fees as well as the lawyers who pay them, justice minister Jonathan Djanogly said last week. The minister told a LexisNexis costs conference that he wants the offence to go ‘further than just solicitors’. Djanogly said he had decided to use a regulatory rather than criminal offence to implement the referral fee ban because of the lower burden of proof. Jurors in a criminal case might have difficulty with the complex scenarios that could arise, such as where an insurer gives a solicitor work but insists that the lawyer buys its insurance in return. Djanogly noted that the previous ban on referral fees, lifted in 2004, involved too much ‘leakage’ in the system, which he wants to avoid. The Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill is on track to become law by the end of the year, Djanogly said. He added that the bill’s provisions, which include Lord Justice Jackson’s reforms to civil litigation, will come into force next October. The minister said he had not been swayed by ‘special interest groups’ seeking exemptions from the provisions. ‘Sir Rupert Jackson is very firm in his belief that non-recoverability [of certain costs] must be brought in as a package across the board. There are many different interest groups who feel that they are a special case: clinical negligence, insolvency, professional negligence. They all say that they should have carve-outs. I can see now why he wants it as a package, and we support his view.’ On the government’s separate proposal to raise the small claims track limit, Djanogly said this would benefit many consumers. However, he said reports that a rise in the limit to £10,000 was already a ‘done deal’ were not correct.
NEW ROCHELLE, New York: If Jamaican athlete Kemoy Campbell were to end his career today, he would go down as one of the country’s best ever products in the distance events. It would be fair to say that his miles have largely been clocked on the back streets, where Jamaican athletics fame is concerned, but five straight national titles, three national outdoor records, two national indoor records, a 2016 Rio Olympics appearance, and him being the first Jamaican male to feature in a distance final at the IAAF World Championships, points to an athlete that has certainly made his mark. Still, as he continues his recovery following his shocking collapse while competing at the Millrose Games in New York on February 9, Campbell has found himself with more time than usual on his hands. It has given him the opportunity to reflect on what was and what isn’t. The 28-year-old, who spent more than two weeks in the hospital following the incident and, who now has an Implantable cardioverter defibrillator in his chest to mitigate against a reoccurrence of his heart failure, will not know whether he will be able to resume his professional career until no earlier than late August into September this year. The doubts and uncertainty pull at his heart, and as he contemplates his future, the Manchester native can’t help but think about the things he was not able to do on the track up to this point. “The biggest disappointment would be not medalling in one of these events,” Campbell told The Gleaner during an interview on Wednesday in New Rochelle, New York, where he is temporarily based until his recovery and check-ups are completed. “That was one of the goals that I set out for myself. This was something mentioned a lot of times, that I want to be the first Jamaican to medal for the country in a distance race, so that would be one of the disappointments. At the same time, I know I have left a mark the sport. I think if I can share my experiences with people, it can be a great impact as well,” added Campbell, who sees his recent struggles as an opportunity to engage and encourage others. PUSHING EVERY DAY Campbell, who created history when he qualified for the 5000m final at the London 2017 World Championships, says his experience has made him more appreciative and is pushing him every day to become stronger and to make the most of his second chance at life. “I have got stronger mentally. Yes, there are times when I have had a breakdown, but I think mentally, when it comes to pushing myself to get back up there, I have that drive to get myself back in it as fast as I can. The toughest thing is knowing I’m not going to get there as fast as I want to, but I know I have to be patient. I have family and friends around who I know will help me to get through this process for sure,” added Campbell. For now, there is no target for his return, no circled date on a calendar, no timeline. Campbell made it clear that he is in no rush as he has shown on the track throughout his career. He is prepared to go the distance to return to his best in what he hopes will be another push towards achieving the podium target that he so greatly desires. “When I start training, I don’t play around. You can ask any of my coaches I have worked with. I push myself really hard. If they (doctors) do give me the go-ahead, I will be a little more cautious. I would try to get back around as quickly as I can while being as safe as I can. There are goals that I have set for myself. When the moment comes, I will figure out how to adjust those with what my body can give me,” he shared. [email protected]
The free pass that Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) board tried to create for itself through the suspension of CEO Thabang Moroe won’t fly when it comes to the players.The South African Cricketers Association (Saca) on Monday once again reiterated its call for the decision-making group at the embattled federation to resign en masse.“We are astounded that the Board of CSA which has led the organisation during a tumultuous period when all this has happened now refuses to take responsibility for the deep, deep crisis in which cricket finds itself,” said Saca chief Tony Irish.ALSO READ: CSA board throws Moroe under the bus“No one disagrees with the removal of the chief executive, but to suggest that the buck stopped with him alone, and for the Board to cling so desperately to power, is a matter for serious concern.”The players union’s biggest gripe with CSA president Chris Nenzani and his fellow board members, who are still reeling from losing three independent directors last week, is the argument they couldn’t have been unaware of the disastrous decisions taken from a corporate governance perspective.Massive financial strife, a high court battle between the two parties over domestic cricket’s restructure, the withdrawal of a major sponsor in Standard Bank and multiple contractual breaches are just some of the scandals that have unfolded under the board’s watch.Nenzani at the weekend stated that renewed engagement with the players would be an “urgent priority”, but even if it weren’t, Saca probably won’t be attending any meetings.“Saca has noted the appointment of Jacques Faul, as the acting chief executive, and is prepared to deal with him in good faith in order to attempt to resolve as many as possible of the current crises affecting the players. Saca will not, however, lend credibility to the board of CSA by dealing with a ‘negotiating panel’ if this comprises any Board members. It is hoped that the new chief executive will appoint a highly competent director of cricket so that, even at this very late stage, he can start putting the best possible professional structure around the Proteas team,” said IrishFor more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.