Defendants who appear in court via videolink are being ‘treated differently’ from those who appear in person, solicitors have warned, with a much higher proportion going unrepresented. The pilot virtual court, whereby defendants make their first appearance in court via videolink from a police station, has been running since May, linking 16 London stations with Camberwell Green Magistrates Court. Greg Stewart, a defence representative at local pilot implementation meetings in London, said: ‘Some weeks the vast majority of defendants are unrepresented and every week the majority of them are unrepresented. We predicted this as the police were never going to encourage defendants to get a lawyer.’ He said judges appeared happy to deal with unrepresented defendants over the videolink, but were more reluctant to do so when a defendant was unrepresented in court, even where the charges were more serious. ‘This illustrates our point that those on the videolink are treated differently,’ he said. Shabana Fazal, of London firm GT Stewart, said: ‘There’s no way defendants using the videolink are getting the same treatment as those physically present, and [those who are represented] aren’t getting enough time with their solicitors before their cases are called on… The process is more lengthy than normal and hard for defendants to understand.’ A Ministry of Justice spokesman said the full rollout of the pilot was only completed in August, but a detailed evaluation would be published in September 2010. About 110 cases have been heard through the pilot so far.
PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida football team has added two graduate assistants to its coaching staff, Luke Charles and Billy VandeMerkt. Charles comes to UWF after finishing his playing career as a quarterback at UNC Pembroke, while VandeMerkt was a quarterback at Saint Joseph’s College. Both Charles and VandeMerkt were added to the coaching staff for the spring semester, and they will each begin their graduate work in the fall semester. Charles, who played for head coach Pete Shinnick at UNC Pembroke, will be the team’s offensive graduate assistant. VandeMerkt, who played for UWF defensive coordinator Cory Sanders when Sanders was at Saint Joseph’s, will be UWF’s defensive graduate assistant. Luke Charles was a two-time All-America selection while at UNC Pembroke, and he was a Harlon Hill Trophy finalist during his senior season in 2013. He finished his career as the Braves’ all-time passing leader and holds 30 other single game, season or career records at UNCP. During his senior year he passed for 3,586 yards and 33 touchdowns. Billy VandeMerkt was one of the top quarterbacks in Saint Joseph’s College history, finishing second or third in numerous offensive categories. He was an All-Great Lakes Valley Conference selection during his senior season when he passed for 1,480 yards and 13 touchdowns, while also running for 291 yards with two touchdowns. The University of West Florida Department of Intercollegiate Athletics has won eight national championships, and UWF leads all schools in Gulf South Conference history with 79 league championships and 18 all-sports trophies. Football will be the 15th varsity sport at the University. UWF President Judy Bense confirmed on Sept. 4, 2013 that the team will begin playing in 2016, and the University reached an agreement for the team to play its home games at Maritime Park Stadium in downtown Pensacola starting that fall. The team will announce its first signing class on Wednesday, Feb. 4, and fans are invited to join the team in a celebration at Seville Quarter that evening at 5:30 p.m. Attendees will be able to meet the coaching staff and learn more about UWF football and the first signing class of football student-athletes. The celebration will be held in Phineas Phogg’s at Seville Quarter, and light refreshments will be provided. For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com. Print Friendly Version
The Cherries are on the hunt for reinforcements this month, with a disappointing campaign so far leaving them 18th in the table.Fixing their goalscoring problems is a chief concern for manager Eddie Howe, who has watched his Bournemouth side score just 23 goals in the league to date.According to Bild, they were keen to add Dortmund winger Larsen to their squad with that in mind but face a swift rejection from the 21-year-old.Embed from Getty ImagesThe newspaper reports that the Dane can leave the German side this month, having fallen down the pecking order under Lucien Favre.Bournemouth wanted to bring him to the Premier League and were even willing to pay his transfer fee, around €15m, to make it happen.Unfortunately for them, he turned the move down outright, although his reason for rejecting the potential move to the South Coast isn’t given.He seemingly wasn’t keen on the move, despite the fact his agent, Marko Benes, has been exploring the market to find a move for weeks.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameIf You Like to Play, this City-Building Game is a Must-Have. No Install.Forge of Empires – Free Online GameUndo聽多多 Hearmore.asia我們現正尋找希望使用市面上最新幾乎隱形的助聽器的香港試用者。限50歲以上*聽多多 Hearmore.asiaUndoSmart Tech TrendOver 60? You Have to Try Those Revolutionary Glasses!Smart Tech TrendUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoCNN with DBS BankWhat Banks Changed To Help SMEs During Covid-19CNN with DBS BankUndoHero WarsGetting this Treasure is impossible! Prove us wrong!Hero WarsUndoGrepolis – Online Free GameGamers Around the World Have Been Waiting for this Game! Already 35 Million PlayersGrepolis – Online Free GameUndoLoans | Search AdsNeed a loan? Search hereLoans | Search AdsUndoTheTopFiveVPNThe Trick Netflix Doesn’t Want You To Know To Unlock RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPNUndo Borussia Dortmund winger Jacob Bruun has turned down the chance to join Bournemouth.
Football player touch female referee s breast! REAL vs FAKE GOLD People Slammed By Massive Waves 4 Travel Diary // Vietnam 2017 Top 5 Best Budget Hotels In Dubai under AED 400 a night. 10 INCREDIBLE Space Launch Failures! TYSON FURY has blasted Deontay Wilder for “letting himself down” after the American said that the Gypsy King “wasn’t the champion”.Wilder gave an explosive interview to the PBC Podcast where he claimed that “things went on” in the lead up to their rematch back in February.Tyson Fury dominated Deontay Wilder – but the American seems to have some excusesCredit: Getty Images – GettyTyson Fury was not impressed with Deontay Wilder claim that he was ‘not a champion’However he refused to elaborate on this except saying that he was “a zombie in there”, and instead kept on repeating that it “wasn’t the real Deontay Wilder”.And despite being battered from pillar to post by Fury in Las Vegas, Wilder took a swipe at his conqueror.He said: “I don’t see Fury as a champion. He ain’t the champion yet, we still got one more fight left.“And I’m looking forward to giving the world the best of Deontay Wilder.”BT Sport Boxing relayed those bizarre comments on their Instagram page, where Fury himself commented. FURY NOT IMPRESSEDThe 30-year-old WBC heavyweight champion wrote: “Keep letting yourself down @bronzebomber it’s sad.“It was you I smashed that’s the truth. Just admit it and move on, it’s just a fight you win some you lose some that’s boxing pal.”SunSport reported how the Alabama boxer has sensationally hinted that he could RETIRE if he loses his trilogy fight against Fury.And he has explosively revealed that he was been “weeding out snakes” from his circle that he believes contributed to his shattering loss to the Gypsy King.He said: “This is the last final straw as I see it. I’m taking everything in that happened, everything that happened towards me.“I’m cutting my grass, I’m getting rid of a lot of snakes in the grass.“This time has allowed me to look back, dig in the weed and see what was really going on.”The 34-year-old also confirmed he had surgery on his bicep and that he suffered the injury during his crushing loss.Mike Tyson tells Deontay Wilder to ‘grow up’ and stop moaning after ‘making £80m’ to get smashed by Tyson Fury What’s This “Trick” Called? Comment Down Below!! Source: Boxing – thesun.co.uk Rebekah Vardy scores an impressive penalty in six-inch heels
E-mail: [email protected] If you didn’t know better, you’d have thought Henry White had lost the golf tournament when he bogeyed the par-3 18th hole at Bonneville Golf Course late Sunday afternoon.White didn’t stomp around or anything — he just looked so sad when his par putt trickled off and just slid by the hole.What made the bogey so disappointing was that it was the first bogey in two days of superb golf by White at the Burton Lumber Salt Lake City Open.All it really meant was that the 45-year-old Salt Lake professional won by only four shots instead of five over second-place finisher Brad Stone. White’s final-round 68 coupled with his 64 the previous day at Wingpointe, gave him a 132 total, while Stone shot 69 to finish at 136. Jimmy Blair was another shot back at 137, with Milan Swilor and Kim Thompson finishing at 138.While White has won numerous tournaments over the years, this wash is first at the Salt Lake City Open, which was known for years as the City Parks Open. He had won the Salt Lake City Amateur on the same Bonneville layout 23 years earlier.Sunday afternoon, White was in control the whole tournament and was never threatened.”Honestly, I’ve never played this well before in my life,” White said. “I’m having fun.”White credits much of his success to practicing what he preaches. He is the owner of the Henry White Performance Golf and Wellness Center in Salt Lake, which helps golfers and others stay in proper shape through physical therapy and weight training.”Hopefully, I’m doing what I’m teaching,” he said.Besides working at his Wellness Center at the Metro Sports Club in downtown Salt Lake, White also teaches lessons at Eaglewood Golf Course. Perhaps he can cut back a bit after cashing his $3,000 winner’s check.White started the day with a three-shot lead after his 8-under-round at Wingpointe the day before. He admitted he “was trying not to make mistakes,” which is what he did for the most part. He made two birdies on the front nine and three on the back before his final-hole bogey.He was a little concerned after being burned at Spanish Oaks earlier this year when he shot a first-round 63 and was told that no one could catch him as he finished his second round. Instead he was shocked to see Matt Johnson had shot a 64 and beaten him by one shot.”I just said, ‘hey, I’m going to do better.’ I wanted to push myself a little bit today,” he said.Stone, who turned 50 earlier this year, never got closer than three shots of White and fell back with a couple of uncharacteristic bogeys at 11 and 12 before picking up a pair of shots on the final two holes.Scott Clark claimed low amateur honors after defeating Dustin Pimmin a playoff after both players had shot 139, which put them in a tie for sixth with Mountain View pro Todd Meyer. Four other amateurs, Doug Bybee, Carl Jensen, Dan Horner and Sterling Clark tied at 140. Jensen’s 65 was the best score of the day.
FILE – In this April 19, 2012 file photo, broadcast pioneer Lew Klein, who helped to create “American Bandstand”, speaks during an interview in Jenkintown, Pa. Klein taught and mentored at Temple University in Philadelphia for more than six decades, lending his name to its communication school. The school said he died Wednesday, June 12, 2019. He was 91. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)PHILADELPHIA | Lew Klein, a broadcast pioneer who helped create “American Bandstand” and launched the careers of Dick Clark and Bob Saget, has died. He was 91.Klein died Wednesday, according to Temple University, where Klein taught and mentored students for more than six decades.He began working at WFIL-TV, now WPVI-TV, where he directed “Romper Room” and co-created “Captain Noah and His Magical Ark,” two popular children’s programs in the 1960s that attracted a bigger local audience than “Sesame Street.”A native of Philadelphia, Klein served as executive producer of “American Bandstand,” the popular music performance and dance television show hosted by the late Clark. Klein is credited with launching Clark’s career and served on the board of Dick Clark Productions.Klein spent 15 years producing telecasts for the Philadelphia Phillies and also helped with the careers of players-turned-sportscasters including Richie Ashburn and Tim McCarver.Only a couple years after he graduated with an English degree from the University of Pennsylvania, Klein started teaching at Temple. He stayed for more than 65 years.In 2017, Temple renamed the College of Media and Communications in his honor. During a ceremony, which included remarks from comedian Saget, Klein said he was “so proud and very thankful” to be honored by the university.“Lew could see the gleam in a student’s eye who was inspired to do the work,” Saget told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday.Klein helped Saget get an internship on “The Mike Douglas Show,” a daytime talk show. Klein was also an early supporter of “Through Adam’s Eyes,” a film Saget made in the late 1970s at Temple about his nephew who received facial reconstructive surgery.“I can truly say he was a conduit for all of that,” Saget said.“People like him don’t come around often,” Saget said. “He was just an all-around good man. When I saw him, I kissed him. And I only did that with my dad, Don Rickles and Norman Lear.”Former NBC news anchor Tamron Hall, also a Temple graduate, called Klein “a legend and an inspiration.”“I lost someone who I admired dearly,” she tweeted alongside a photo of the two of them.Joe Conti, president of the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters, called Klein a “titan within the broadcast community.”“He was a compassionate leader, tireless advocate and mentor to generations of broadcast television and radio professionals,” he said in an emailed statement.Survivors include Klein’s wife, Janet; children Ellen and Stephen; granddaughter Anna and her husband, John; and great-grandchildren Oscar and Miriam.This story has been corrected to show that Tamron Hall is a former NBC anchor, not a current one.
TSA officials say they understand the frustration and are working to minimize hassles. They say while it can be annoying, airport screening is essential because intelligence reports show aviation remains a top target for terrorists. A review of complaints the traveling public lodged with TSA in September helps explain the low standing. While passengers generally understand TSA’s mission, they could do without certain parts of the pre-boarding experience. Take, for example, a mother and daughter traveling out of the Dallas/Fort Worth airport on Sept. 4. In an e-mailed complaint to TSA, the mother said the TSA screener was rude and inconsiderate. While she was in secondary screening, the mother was made to face away from her daughter. “Someone could have taken my daughter,” the woman wrote. “I understand you have to have security, but your people don’t need to be rude!!!” On Sept. 3, a man leaving Orlando, Fla., filed a lengthy complaint because he said a screener touched him “like no man ever has – not even my doctor.” “This type of bodily inspection, privately or publicly, is undignified,” he wrote. “Have terrorists succeeded in making us that scared of each other?” Nearly 9,000 such complaints flowed into TSA between January and October of this year, and the agency made a selection of them available at the request of The Associated Press. Screeners are “just rigid, intransigent, inflexible, unpleasant, and they always have the fact that they’ve got the security of the nation that they’re falling back on,” said David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association. Stempler said he has no way of telling whether TSA has addressed any of the hundreds of complaints it receives each month. Another frequent complaint is that security restrictions seem pointless and arbitrary. “The security is a joke, it’s an absolute joke,” said James Atkinson, a Massachusetts businessman. Atkinson said he has sent dozens of complaints to TSA and the Federal Aviation Administration over the past 10 years, and has never heard back. His complaints range from unmanned checkpoints to the absurdity of the rule restricting liquids in carry-on luggage to 3 ounces or less. The TSA imposed a restriction on liquids in August 2006 after a plot surfaced to blow up U.S. airliners with liquid explosives. Paul C. Light, professor of public policy at New York University, said he’s not surprised that TSA and the IRS are tied for low public esteem. Yet he defended TSA as misunderstood, because it’s highly visible yet can’t brag about its successes. “It’s an agency that’s damned if it does, damned if it doesn’t,” Light said. TSA responds to every complaint it receives, said spokeswoman Ellen Howe, adding that each complaint is forwarded to the federal security director at the airport in question. In the cases AP reviewed, the most common response was a form letter, apologizing for inconveniences, often blaming the problem of long lines on the local airport and forwarding complaints about inappropriate patdowns to the airports where they occurred.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ“I am so frustrated with TSA that I am ready to stop flying,” one traveler wrote in a Sept. 7 complaint filed with the agency. “I’m sure this doesn’t matter to you because my tax dollars are already paying you.” The AP poll, conducted Monday through Wednesday, found that the more people travel, the less they like TSA. But it also found that 53 percent of air travelers think TSA does a “very” or “somewhat” good job. The inconvenience of security was the top complaint of air travelers, mentioned by 31 percent of those who had taken at least one trip in the past year. That figure rose to 40 percent for those who have taken five to 10 trips. TSA’s parent agency, the Department of Homeland Security, also ranked at the bottom of an index of consumer satisfaction released this week, supplanting the IRS as the prime subject of grumbling in that survey. The authoritative American Customer Satisfaction Index questioned 10,000 people about their experiences with the federal government. WASHINGTON – Hand sanitizer makes it through security in one airport, then it’s confiscated at another. Screening lines back up because only two of six lanes are open. And then there’s the occasional all-too-intimate patdown. Those complaints and other frustrations make the nation’s airport security agency about as popular as the IRS. Indeed, only the Federal Emergency Management Agency, still suffering from its mishandling of Hurricane Katrina, ranks below the Transportation Security Administration among the least-liked federal agencies, according to a new Associated Press-Ipsos poll. TSA tied with the perennially unpopular tax collectors in a favorability ranking of a dozen executive branch agencies.