Grateful For American Dream, Immigrant CEO Shares Millions With Workers at Chobani

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMoreA desire to give back to the country where his overwhelming success was made possible, the boss of a yogurt empire just made more dreams possible for 2,000 of his employees at Chobani–offering them each a huge economic windfall.Chobani’s Turkish CEO Handi Ulukaya is giving every full-time worker ownership stakes in the multi-billion dollar company. The program, “Chobani Shares”, is offering 10% of the corporation’s stock as incentive to stay and continue working.“This isn’t a gift,” Ulukaya wrote in a letter to factory employees in upstate New York. “It’s a mutual promise to work together with a shared purpose and responsibility. To continue to create something special and of lasting value.” Ulukaya has emphasized that the goal of the program is to pass along the wealth that he and the workers have built together. Unlike most companies, the workers at Chobani, which means “shepherd’ in Turkish, will not have to pay for the units which – if saved and used correctly – could make some of them millionaires.RELATED: $70K Minimum Wage is Paying Off for CEO Who Took Pay Cut to Lift WorkersSince a young Ulukaya immigrated to America from a dairy-farming family and a decade later, in 2005, started the yogurt company, he has donated most of his wealth – 700 million dollars – to aiding Kurdish refugees, as well as personally flying to Lesbos, Greece to offer help during the Syrian refugee crisis. Beyond launched a foundation called TENT, he also has initiated a campaign that urges businesses to hire refugees around the world.MORE: Refugee Selling Pens Saw Huge Outpouring, Now Owns Bakery, Hires Refugees“I watched my mother give to those who needed and it came from the most amazing place in her heart,” Ulukaya said when he signed The Giving Pledge last year, following in the footsteps of Bill Gates and other millionaires in vowing to give away half their wealth.“In 1994, I came to New York to study English and later became drawn to the idea that anyone can start something in America,” Ulukaya added. “All you needed was a dream and the willingness to take a risk.”“I took a loan from the Small Business Administration, bought an old yogurt plant and brought a small group of us together to make the real, wholesome yogurt of my childhood,” he said. “Since day one, I wanted to stand for something even bigger than the natural food we made, so we have given 10% of our profits to charity through the Chobani Foundation.(WATCH the employees get their stock –and a hug in the video below) This Story Is Almost As Delicious As Their Yogurt… Click To ShareAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to EmailEmailEmailShare to RedditRedditRedditShare to MoreAddThisMorelast_img read more

BVI Governor Gives Clearance Emergency Workers After Hurricane Maria

first_imgMaria weakened to a category three storm with winds of 115 mph (185km/h) as it moved across the island. However, he urged everyone else to stay indoors, adding that debris and damage caused by Maria pose some amount of risk to residents. To conduct rapid assessment“Therefore, I am now giving the all-clear to emergency and essential workers only to help conduct the rapid assessment and to ensure we are able to clear roadways. This means only critical agencies should be on the roads – all other persons must still stay off the roads. There are still risks from debris and damage from Maria,” he said. “The Premier and I, in consultation with the Director of The National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) are satisfied that the immediate serious threat posed by Hurricane Maria to the territory is over.” Governor of the British Virgin Islands, Augustus Jaspert on Wednesday gave an all-clear signal for essential and emergency workers to resume operations following the close passage of Hurricane Maria. According to Jaspert, following assessment of the damage caused by Maria, the Government will re-establish plans to continue with the recovery efforts.center_img The Governor added that although Maria continues to move away from the BVI, squalls, rain and high surf continued to affect the territory throughout the day until the hurricane moved away fully. Meanwhile, Hurricane Maria knocked out power to the entire island of Puerto Rico. Head of the Disaster Management Agency, Abner Gómez said the hurricane had damaged “everything in its path”. Sympathies to Dominica and the USVIHe offered sympathies to Dominica and the US Virgin Islands which were badly affected by Hurricane Maria and noted that he fully supports the call by the Governor of Puerto Rico to ensure individuals were fully prepared for the approaching Hurricane. Curfew remains in place“I urge all persons of the BVI, to please adhere to the instructions being given and to ensure full cooperation. The curfew remains in place for all people apart from emergency responders. Please continue to remain indoors and allow us adequate time to complete the assessments and initiate the necessary immediate response. I will advise you later in the day when the public all-clear is given,” he said.last_img read more