Manhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputy

first_imgHomeBad BehaviorManhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputy Jun. 12, 2020 at 5:00 amBad BehaviorCrimeManhunt targets suspect who wounded California deputyAssociated Press12 months agogunmanManhuntMason James Lirasuspect CHRISTOPHER WEBER and STEFANIE DAZIOAssociated PressHundreds of California police officers were searching Thursday for a gunman suspected of opening fire at a police station, wounding a deputy with a shot to the face and killing a transient man.Authorities said they have been a step behind 26-year-old Mason James Lira since he shot at the downtown Paso Robles Police Department before dawn Wednesday. Officials later discovered the body of a man, who had been shot in the head at close range.“It’s a wide-ranging, full-on, full-scale effort,” said Tony Cipolla, spokesman for the San Luis Obispo County sheriff. “We’re right behind him. You can’t run forever.”The search intensified Thursday in and around Paso Robles, a tourist destination in California’s central coast wine region. Police closed parts of a freeway and used flash-bangs while searching apartments.The attack came just five days after law enforcement officers were ambushed farther north in the community of Ben Lomond.Santa Cruz County sheriff’s Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was killed and another deputy was injured Saturday in an attack by an Air Force sergeant armed with homemade bombs, an AR-15 rifle and other weapons, authorities said. Sheriff Jim Hart said the suspect, Steven Carrillo, was intent on killing officers.Carrillo, 32, was arrested and the FBI is investigating whether he has links to the killing of a federal security officer outside the U.S. courthouse in Oakland during a protest against police brutality on May 29. A white van was spotted at both attacks and the FBI is seeking the public’s help to find it.Prosecutors on Thursday filed 19 charges against Carrillo, who faces life in prison if convicted. He is accused of killing Gutzwiller and attempting to kill four other officers, as well as possessing destructive devices and the components to make others. He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday, and it was not immediately clear if he had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.In Paso Robles, there were no events or imminent arrests that could have triggered the violence, San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said. Investigators didn’t know if the attack was connected to anger swelling nationwide at police over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis officers, he said.Authorities have not determined a motive, but Lira, a transient from the Monterey area, was arrested previously for making terrorist threats.A gas station clerk reported seeing Lira, the suspect, around 2 a.m. Thursday when he came in to buy an energy drink, the TV station KSBY reported. The clerk said Lira was sweaty, exhausted and mumbling to himself but did not do anything threatening.The events started unfolding around 4 a.m. Wednesday, when Lira fired at police cars as they entered downtown Paso Robles.Two sheriff’s deputies heard gunshots but didn’t see the attacker until they were outside their patrol car and gunfire targeted them. One was hit in the head. His partner fired back and dragged the deputy behind a police car.“We feel that this was an ambush, that he planned it, that he intended for officers to come out of the Police Department and to assault them,” Sheriff Parkinson said.The wounded deputy, Nicholas Dreyfus, 28, had a good prognosis Thursday after surgery.While officers searched for Lira, they received a report of a body near a train station and found a 58-year-old man shot to death on the tracks. He appeared to be a transient who was camping out overnight. It wasn’t immediately clear when he was shot.Associated Press writers John Antczak and Robert Jablon in Los Angeles contributed to this report.Tags :gunmanManhuntMason James Lirasuspectshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentGyms, museums, hotels, day camps can reopen Friday under Los Angeles County orderWildfires erupt as California sees hot, dry weatherYou Might Also LikeCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author2 days agoCrimeFeaturedKnife-wielding woman arrested during L.A. Councilman’s speechGuest Author4 days agoCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author6 days agoCrimeFeaturedHomeless man loses an eye to BB gun assaultGuest Author1 week agoCrimeCRIME WATCHNewsCrime WatchGuest Author1 week agoCrimeFeaturedNewsDUI & Possession of a Rifle ArrestsGuest Author1 week agolast_img read more

Most Bangladeshi operators not keen to join Internet.org

first_img Grameenphone profit jumps, data revenue rises Grameenphone numbers decline Joseph Waring joins Mobile World Live as the Asia editor for its new Asia channel. Before joining the GSMA, Joseph was group editor for Telecom Asia for more than ten years. In addition to writing features, news and blogs, he… Read more Author Previous ArticleCES Asia: Cars, drones and real-time consumer insightNext ArticleIntel close to acquiring Altera for $17B – reports Joseph Waring HomeAsiaNews Most Bangladeshi operators not keen to join Internet.org Relatedcenter_img Covid-19 weighs on Grameenphone earnings Bangladesh’s mobile operators reportedly aren’t interested in joining Internet.org, noting that the ‘limited version’ of the internet is not a service that would serve their customers’ needs.The country’s two largest mobile operators, Grameenphone and Banglalink, however, have introduced free access to Facebook without Internet.org, according to the Dhaka Tribune.Banglalink COO Shihab Ahmad told the Tribune that it long ago introduced free access to popular sites and apps like Wikipedia, Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp.A representative from Grameenphone said it is in discussions with Facebook and the authorities and is looking at the benefits the service offers subscribers. An Airtel representative said it is not thinking of launching free internet services with Internet.org since it is planning its own initiative.The country’s third largest operator, Robi Axiata, launched Internet.org on 10 May.The reaction from the country’s operators follows widespread criticism over zero-rating access and Internet.org. Two weeks ago 67 digital rights organisations from around the world sent a joint letter to Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, which was posted on Facebook, complaining that it was not doing enough to promote net neutrality and was building a walled garden.The controversy kicked off in April when leading Indian e-commerce provider Flipkart decided not to get involved with Airtel’s sponsored data service called Zero, following protests from net neutrality supporters.Abu Saeed Khan, a telecoms consultant and senior policy fellow at LIRNeasia, told the Tribune: “We are deeply concerned as Internet.org has been misleadingly promoted with a promise to provide access to the full internet services. In fact, it only provides access to a limited number of internet-connected services that are approved by Facebook and local ISPs.” Asia AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 01 JUN 2015 Tags AirtelBangalinkBangladeshGrameenphoneinternet.orgRobizero-rating accesslast_img read more

Warsaw offering grant opportunities for starting teachers

first_img WhatsApp Pinterest Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Google+ Facebook By Tommie Lee – October 17, 2019 0 291 Previous articleUS Rep. Elijah Cummings has died.Next articleMichigan temporarily allows flavored vapes in stores Tommie Lee Twitter Google+ (Photo supplied/Warsaw Community Schools) The Warsaw Community Schools are giving teachers in their first three years an opportunity to apply for grant money.The WCS and the Mary Louise Miller Foundation will consider grant applications for up to 15 hundred dollars that can be used to help these teachers furnish their first classroom.It’s part of an effort to ensure equality of supplies and materials for all teachers and students in the schools. Warsaw offering grant opportunities for starting teachers IndianaLocalNewsSouth Bend Marketlast_img read more

Zoot signs ITU Triathlon World Champion Javier Gómez Noya

first_img Related In its latest release, Zoot Sports is proud to announce the addition of ITU Triathlon World Champion Javier Gómez Noya to its stable of professional athletes.‘Javi’ will train and compete in Zoot footwear and wetsuits for the next two seasons, with his ultimate sights on the London Olympic Games in 2012.Gómez said, “It’s a real honour to be part of the team and I’m very excited to work closely with the developers and to compete in Zoot.”For the next two years, Javi’s focus will be on retaining his 2010 ITU World Championship title, in addition to qualifying for the 2012 Olympics in London.Gómez’s race shoe for 2011-12 is Zoot’s Ultra Race 3.0. According to Zoot, ‘The 3.0 is cleaner, lighter and faster; offering a better fit and ultimately providing athletes with that all important competitive edge. Equipped with a Quick Entry System and BareFit Technology, the Ultra Race 3.0 allows flawlessly fast transitions, when it matters most: on race day.’Gómez added, “Every second you can gain in the transition is so important. Not only is it faster, it’s easier!”Being a former swimmer, Javi looks for flexibility, freedom of movement and flotation in his wetsuit. Zoot’s The Prophet’ gets high marks on all accounts, making this Javi’s choice of wetsuit for 2011-12.www.zootsports.comlast_img read more

IndyCar’s accidents have made a mess of the Indy 500

first_imgIndyCar had a crisis looming well before James Hinchcliffe was injured in another spectacular accident during preparations for the most esteemed race in motorsports.Three cars have gone airborne, and one of the series’ most popular drivers was in the intensive care unit Monday night after surgery on an injury to Hinchcliffe’s left thigh suffered when he crashed following a suspension part breaking. IndyCar said he was in stable condition.As Hinchcliffe’s car shot back down the track toward the apron, it quickly tilted on its side and seemed headed to a rollover before it snapped back down on all four wheels.Hinchcliffe’s car did not go airborne — oh, it certainly tried to, even after a good bit of speed had been scrubbed from it when it slammed into a wall — but that might have been because half the car was destroyed. He also wasn’t in a Chevrolet, the automaker under scrutiny since three of its cars took flight during wrecks last week.Although his crash was unrelated to last week’s wrecks, it was still ugly and Hinchcliffe joins a list that includes Helio Castroneves, the three-time Indianapolis 500 winner, flipping his car last Wednesday. Josef Newgarden went airborne the next day, and finally on Sunday, Ed Carpenter, an Indianapolis standout and an heir to the family that controls all things IndyCar, became the third Chevrolet driver in five days to go airborne.But this crisis had been in the works since the season-opening race two months ago, where a woman suffered a fractured skull when a piece from one of the new aerokits on the cars flew over the St. Petersburg, Florida, grandstands and hit her.From that very first race, it was clear there are many unknowns about the bodywork kits and IndyCar has been reacting nearly every week to situations that no one predicted.Why? Because they didn’t do enough testing, and when any bit of contact was creating debris fields all over the race track, someone should have had the sense to say ‘Maybe we should get the speedway kits out and make sure they don’t also have any unforeseen problems.’Alas, the speedway cars didn’t hit the track until the beginning of May, and until cars started sailing, no one had any idea that could happen.Cars aren’t meant to leave the racing surface, and when they do, it’s a very big deal. Such a big deal that the three flips have overshadowed Pippa Mann’s tremendous hit last Wednesday into both an inside wall and then into the attenuator in pit lane.A day before that, Simona de Silvestro watched her car erupt into flames in a standard incident that made for tremendous photographs but was mundane in the world of racing.All of these incidents create the images that are drawing worldwide attention to the “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” a full week before the renowned event.Maybe that’s not such a bad thing for IndyCar, the besieged series that just can’t seem to get anything right, but stays in business year after year in part because it calls the Indianapolis 500 its own. Some buzz around this crown jewel event can only help.Not like this, though.It shouldn’t be accidents followed by the appearance of an amateur hour in crisis management from series leadership creating the narrative leading into Sunday’s race.This is a mess — a hold-your-breath-and-hope-for-the-best situation — at a time when IndyCar was so excited to show off the new bodywork on the Chevrolets and the Hondas and the increased speeds around the famed Brickyard.Instead, it’s possible that Chevrolet’s design contributed to its three cars going airborne. And even though Honda had yet to have a serious problem — unless, of course, you count the total domination Chevrolet has had of the speed charts — IndyCar ordered both manufacturers to make changes before Sunday’s qualifying session.But as a weary Mark Miles and Derrick Walker met the media Sunday, it was clear series management was overwhelmed with the problem at hand.Racing is dangerous, we’re told that after every wincing wreck, even the ones that end in injury, or, on rare occasion the past decade, death. But it’s the responsibility of the series to create the safest conditions possible, and Miles and Walker have a mess on their hands.IndyCar was badly wounded following the death of two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon in the 2011 season finale. Wheldon was killed racing for a $5 million prize in a gimmick designed to draw more eyeballs to the series.One of the most charismatic drivers in the under-marketed series was a victim of a rules package that created dangerous pack racing on a high-speed track where very few competitors in the field had any experience.Many tried to voice their concerns in the days leading up to the accident, but they were shouting in the wind: Leadership was committed to the finale, and when a series is struggling for attention, there aren’t very many people to complain about a possible problem.Four years after Wheldon’s underdog Indy 500 victory, people are paying attention and noticing that something seems to be amiss in Indy.IndyCar learned from Wheldon’s death, and everyone understands the series doesn’t want to endure another such heartbreak. But the series has only itself to blame for this mess.Maybe they’ve hit on something that will keep the cars on the track, and hours after Hinchcliffe’s accident brought Monday’s action to a halt, the drivers were back on track for a flawless final session filled with inter-brand drafting, slingshot passes and the tight racing which fans have come to expect of Wheldon’s namesake DW-12 chassis.Maybe Sunday will be void of any major incidents, and maybe, just maybe, the 99th running will be the greatest Indy 500 in history.But it’s just a guess at this point, and IndyCar officials better be crossing their fingers that they’ve gotten this right.last_img read more