Laois Champion crowned in Eason Spelling Bee County Competition Twitter By Julie Anne Miller – 26th February 2018 Laois County Council create ‘bigger and better’ disability parking spaces to replace ones occupied for outdoor dining Ten Laois based players named on Leinster rugby U-18 girls squad Community Previous articleStatus Orange weather warning in place as it’s set to get VERY cold this weekNext articleSnow ploughs at the ready as council ‘prepares for the worst’ Julie Anne MillerLaoisToday’s main photographer Julie Anne Miller is a graduate from GMIT. Despite her young age, Julie Anne has years of experience in the food industry. She has worked in Tynan’s at the Storeyard in Portlaoise, Ballymaloe House in Cork and Beach Point Country Club in New York. She has also contributed a food column to the Irish Country Living section of the Irish Farmers Journal. She’s willing to talk about anything – except football! WhatsApp Rugby Home Lifestyle Laois Champion crowned in Eason Spelling Bee County Competition LifestyleOut and About RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Pinterest Laragh Wilkinson_1 (1) Laragh Wilkinson has been named as Laois Champion Speller in the 2018 Eason Spelling Bee County Competition.The annual nationwide competition is now in its eighth year.Eason is delighted to announce Laragh Wilkinson as the winner of the Laois County Spelling Bee, which took place in The Heath National School, Raheendoran, Portlaoise.12-year-old Laragh from Cosby National School, Stradbally, came out on top against 12 other spelling enthusiasts and will now be entered into the Leinster Provincial Spelling Bee final at the end of May.The 6th class student is an avid reader and her favourite book is ‘A Spoonful of Murder’ by Robin Stevens.The Eason Spelling Bee encourages kids throughout the country to practice their spelling, to read more and strives to instil greater confidence when it comes to literacy and spelling, from a young age.Brendan Corbett, Group Head of Marketing at Eason, said: “We’re extremely proud of the success of the Eason Spelling Bee to date.“Over the eight years, we have seen the children of our nation continue to impress with their level of spelling and it’s wonderful to see schools from across the country continuously supporting this initiative.”Each year the competition begins with registered schools hosting their own in-school Bee competitions, to find their school champion.From there, the Eason Spelling Bee team hits the road to host the County Final Bees, which then leads to four Provincial Finals. The All-Ireland Final will take place in June 2018, where the champion speller will be crowned.The winning school will receive a collection of books for their library to the value of €7,500.The Spelling Bee winner will be awarded a goody bag full of books worth €500 and the prestigious title of the 2018 Eason Spelling Bee champion.Keep up-to-date with all the 2018 Spelling Bee news on www.easons.com/spellingbeeSEE ALSO – High profile line up for Connect 2 Laois for Food event WhatsApp Facebook Laois County Council team up with top chef for online demonstration on tips for reducing food waste Council Facebook TAGSEasons Spelling Bee Pinterest
iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — A man who allegedly deserted the U.S. Air Force and vanished without a trace 35 years ago was found at a California home living under a fake name, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations said in a news release.William Howard Hughes Jr. allegedly deserted the Air Force in July 1983 after coming back from temporary duty in Western Europe, the Air Force said.At the time, Hughes was single and assigned to an Air Force center in New Mexico, where he had responsibilities including “classified planning and analysis of the NATO command, control, and communications surveillance systems,” the Air Force said.He had been sent to the Netherlands July 18, 1983, to work with NATO officers and was due back in Albuquerque on Aug. 1, the Air Force said.But he disappeared. Hughes was last seen in the Albuquerque area withdrawing $28,500 from his bank account at 19 different branches, the Air Force said, though not indicating when.Law enforcement agencies searched in the United States and overseas but couldn’t find him. Friends and co-workers also didn’t provide any information, the Air Force said.The Air Force said it declared Hughes a deserter Dec. 9, 1983.But federal authorities were interviewing a man named Barry O’Beirne last Tuesday as part of a passport fraud investigation, and when they challenged him over his identity’s inconsistencies, he said he was Hughes and had deserted the Air Force in 1983, the news release said. Agents from the Air Force’s Office of Special Investigations took Hughes into custody at his California home Wednesday, the Air Force said.Hughes said he had been depressed about being in the Air Force so he deserted, made up the O’Beirne identity and moved to California, the Air Force said.Hughes’ sister, Christine Hughes, told The Associated Press in 1984 that her brother wouldn’t desert and wouldn’t vanish without leaving a note, according to The Washington Post.“We do not feel he disappeared voluntarily,” Christine Hughes said at the time, according to the Post.William Hughes was taken into custody without incident and is at Travis Air Force Base in California awaiting pre-trial confinement, the Air Force said. The Office of Special Investigations declined to comment further on the case, telling ABC News the Air Force has nothing more to add until its legal department moves forward with a recommendation.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.